Support We Provide
As part of its mission to lead UAS research and integration activities office staff, that are already recognized as UAS data collection subject matter experts both within DOI and internationally, are available to provide various forms of support. The types of support that can be provided range from presentations, focused training, performance of cooperative research missions, assistance to other agencies developing UAS capabilities, and support for the establishment of USGS UAS operational hubs.
For example, when a government agency or the academic community comes to us, we can provide:
- Recommendations for sensor type and UAS platform selection based on specific data requirements
- Guidance on how to coordinate with the Federal Aviation Administration and the Department of the Interior Office of Aviation Services to gain approval for operating a UAS in the United States National Airspace System (NAS)
- Assistance with initial UAS flight operations including methods for efficient flight planning and logistical support
- Technical support with new data processing techniques
- Development and delivery of geospatial products for use in geographic and scientific analysis
To pursue the possibility of our support for a specific research mission the cooperator will need to provide us with the following basic information before we can begin the evaluation process.
We have also supported the establishment of operational UAS teams at the following USGS locations: Louisville Kentucky, Flagstaff Arizona, and Ft. Collins Colorado.
An example of some of the steps required to establish a new USGS UAS capability are:
- Review the USGS UAS Acquisition Operating Procedures
- Coordinate with us to establish specific:
- Platform and sensor needs
- Budget requirements for the purchase and operation of systems
- Operator and Training needs
- Operational requirements